Sunday, June 21, 2009

Souvlaki Salad

I originally found this recipe in a magazine, Canadian House & Home, I think. But I can't find it on-line to link it!

Ingredients


2 lb chicken (or lamb), cut into bite-sized pieces

Marinade (if I don’t have a lot of time I just use the Kraft Feta & Oregano Salad Dressing)
½ cup chopped sweet onion
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
3 bay leaves, crushed
1 Tbsp dried oregano (or ¼ cup fresh)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary (1 Tbsp fresh)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

Olive oil for drizzling
6 pita breads
5 or 6 tomatoes (cute into bite-sized pieces)
1 cucumber (sliced & halved)
feta cheese, crumbled

Tzatziki Dressing (you can make this from scratch … or just buy it like I do!)

Directions
1. Marinade lamb / chicken. Recipe calls for overnight … I rarely have time to do it overnight!

2. Grill lamb / chicken

3. Brush pita breads with olive oil. Lightly grill, and then chop up roughly (I use kitchen shears).

4. Drizzle olive oil on plate, place chopped up pita on plate.

5. Top with chopped tomatoes, cucumber, grilled lamb/chicken, feta and tzatziki.

Serve immediately!

For a kid friendly version I make a little rice and serve the chicken, whatever vegetable he is willing to eat and the feta!

No comments:

Post a Comment